Saturday, November 26, 2011

The International Book Project

If you would like to contribute towards "Books for Bartica" but are unable to donate books, I encourage you to visit the International Book Project's website at:
https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=1002441

The International Book Project is a spectacular non-profit organization dedicated to shipping books to underserved communities since 1966.  Recent projects involved the IBP sending books to Guatemala, Sierra Leone, and Costa Rica.

When I called the IBP to speak to a staff member about my vision/plan/brainstorm/gear-chugging idea for the Bartica Library, I spoke with a girl named Amanda.  She was especially excited to hear about my idea since she had just returned from - you won't believe this - Guyana!

I thought this was providential, since most people have a hard time placing Guyana on the map, and if they attempt to, they wind up somewhere in Africa.

Hmmmm, this makes me think:

South America Map

Guyana is in the Northeast corner of the South American Continent.

This is the end of your Geography lesson.

Anyway -

I am partnering with the IBP for my Books For Bartica project, and I am very excited about this! 
I encourage everyone to check out their website and learn more about their shipping methods and success stories.  There is a comprehensive breakdown of how funds are used at IBP,  with a pie chart that I personally find very encouraging

Should you feel moved to make a financial contribution...

 You will find a box marked "Dedication" with an option to choose who/what your donation is in behalf of.  By specifying "Books for Bartica/Guyana", your donation will go directly towards my project!  Once enough funds are allocated (around $1500.00), the IBP will ship several small shipments or a pallet of books from their own storehouses directly to me in Bartica. I love the fact that you can add 3% to your donation so that 100% of it goes to the IBP (ordinarily 97% goes to the IBP, with 3% going towards a non-profit partner).  I also love their transparency in that they've posted their IRS 990 forms on their site, along with a graphic showing how contributions were used in 2010. 

The IBP is an open book (no pun intended) when it comes sharing how they've used donations; you can even download their IRS 990 forms as well as take a peek at their Audited Financial Statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment